Well, as you can tell from the date on this post May has been a bit crazy, but this post isn’t about May so let’s talk about last month. In April I only focused on one app and the name of that app is……well you’ll find out soon. It’s the numbers game that I’ve mentioned on some of these progress reports. I originally birthed the idea during a retro themed game jam I joined last year. Since then the core gameplay has remained the same but overall the game grew into something much more thorough and polished. In April I worked on finishing the last game mode(Roman numerals), difficulty, high score & combo implementations, and other random tweaks to gameplay and design.
Before this app I would normally work on apps in hour increments, but with everything else going on in my life I’ve now been doing app development in bite size chunks. When this first became the norm I wasn’t that efficient because I had to remember where I left off, and then after catching myself up my time to actually work on something was even shorter. So recently I started making to-do lists for things I can get done in like 20-40 minutes so that way I wouldn’t have to stop & start in the middle of something that’s somewhat mentally intense. I set aside things that required more time and effort for the now rare late nights were I stay up working on apps. This new simple process definitely helped speed up development on this app and I’ll be continue to use this method when possible. I still just jump in when an idea sparks though because sometimes it doesn’t feel right putting those moments in a to-do list. Overall no matter how organized app development becomes I always make sure to welcome and nourish improvisations. Until next time ∞