Tag Archives: making several apps

February Mobile App Development Report

9 Mar
2017

February is the shortest month, but it was filled with app development on two very different apps. The first part of the month was dedicated to more work on my educational finance app. I continued to research, gather, and organize information for the database. I’m more than halfway complete with the information portion of the app and it’s A LOT of data. I just looked at it to see how much I’ve done and what’s remaining, and its pretty daunting on both spectrums of complete & incomplete. One of the things I worked on in February for this app was gathering terms and dispersing those terms throughout the app for an Acronyms section. I initially thought it would be a quick thing to do, but with the mass amount of data in this app along with how varied I want it to be proved that to be an incorrect assumption. After I complete the Acronyms section I’m going to jump into another vast portion of data that’s been organized and finish the additional add-ins to make it more varied as well.

Working with financial terms across multiple spreadsheets for my finance app in OpenOffice

During the second half of February I decided to take a break from the finance app and work on a new soundboard app. I already had the idea of this soundboard app in my mind and on a list of app ideas that I have so the idea wasn’t new but this is the first time I’ve dedicated more than a few moments on it. The only part of this app that I had worked on before besides the overall concept was background graphics. So I picked up from where I left off before and finished the backgrounds for the app first. I then started making a list of what kind sound categories I wanted within the app, and then I went further by listing specific sounds within those categories.

Then after that I jumped into the main part of a soundboard app, the sounds! I gathered some sounds from public domain resources to edit and incorporate and I also recorded several new sounds. With some of the sounds I gathered I ended up doing so much editing to them that they turned out sounding like something completely different. This situation ended up happening often due to my audio experimentation and general curiosity, but it’s been neat to discover what sounds can evolve into after various editing, mixing, & etc. So far I’ve been working mainly in Garageband with the audio and that will continue to be the main program that I use for audio. It’s a great program overall, its included with Apple computers so I’ve been using it for years, and it’s been getting the job done for my main audio tool so I’ll continue with it. 

Using pedals to make fire sound effects in Garageband

During the first week of March I worked on giving one of my apps a retro 8-bit makeover. Since this is the February post I won’t go into much detail on this now, but this reskinned app will be getting a standalone release in March across all platforms that the original app is currently on. After finishing that app I’ll jump back in the soundboard app and/or the finance app I wrote about above. Until next time ∞

Advertisements