Tag Archives: solo app development

November Mobile App Development Report

8 Dec
2016

Development work in November was mostly devoted to working on the new finance app I’ve been working on & off with. I continued to gather and check information for different categories and arrange  them in separate lists. I also decided on which exact categories to have in the app, which makes information compiling more productive. In December & January I’ll continue working with a large amount of data for this app. No guarantees, but I plan on releasing this app in the first or early second quarter of 2017. I’ll be reusing a lot of the code that I used in my Quiz of Medicine & RX Quiz of Pharmacy apps so that will save me a lot of time after completing the massive data section. I haven’t touched the design aspect of it yet so the timeframe of app completion will then depend on how quickly that progresses. I have a few rough ideas in mind on how I want it to look, but I want to complete the data portion before diving into design this time.

I ported Word Owl’s Word Search First Grade & Christmas editions to Google Play last month. With the release of great new devices, improvements to the developer console, a huge user base, and increasing download numbers for some of my apps, I’ve decided to focus more on the Google Play store. Apple iOS will still be my main target, and Amazon will stay at second in importance, but now Google Play will be a very strong third target for my apps. I already make an Android based build when I’m releasing an app on Amazon so when I make a build for Google Play I won’t have to change a lot. I won’t be releasing every one of my apps on Google Play because I still have some issues with the store, but going forward I will be focusing more energy there with new apps and possibly some of my older apps. Until next time ∞

April Mobile App Progress Report

12 May
2015

Well, as you can tell from the date on this post May has been a bit crazy, but this post isn’t about May so let’s talk about last month. In April I only focused on one app and the name of that app is……well you’ll find out soon. It’s the numbers game that I’ve mentioned on some of these progress reports. I originally birthed the idea during a retro themed game jam I joined last year. Since then the core gameplay has remained the same but overall the game grew into something much more thorough and polished. In April I worked on finishing the last game mode(Roman numerals), difficulty, high score & combo implementations, and other random tweaks to gameplay and design.

Before this app I would normally work on apps in hour increments, but with everything else going on in my life I’ve now been doing app development in bite size chunks. When this first became the norm I wasn’t that efficient because I had to remember where I left off, and then after catching myself up my time to actually work on something was even shorter. So recently I started making to-do lists for things I can get done in like 20-40 minutes so that way I wouldn’t have to stop & start in the middle of something that’s somewhat mentally intense. I set aside things that required more time and effort for the now rare late nights were I stay up working on apps. This new simple process definitely helped speed up development on this app and I’ll be continue to use this method when possible. I still just jump in when an idea sparks though because sometimes it doesn’t feel right putting those moments in a to-do list. Overall no matter how organized app development becomes I always make sure to welcome and nourish improvisations. Until next time ∞